Since 2007, millions of people around the world have committed to switching off their lights for one hour - Earth Hour - to celebrate their commitment to the planet.
Taking part is easy - just turn off your non-essential lights during Earth Hour! You may also decide to go beyond the hour to reduce your impact on the planet as Earth Hour is a symbolic action encouraging everyone to “use your power” and make the commitment to take action and take better care of the planet in the year ahead.
So what else can you do?
Whether you’re renting or a home owner, there are simple ways you can be more energy efficient in your home, including:
Want to know more?
- Installing energy-efficient light bulbs
- Switching lights off when they’re not in use
- Turning off TVs, computers, microwaves, coffee machines and other electronic devices when they’re not in use
- Unplugging chargers for mobile phones and devices when you’re not using them
- Using a power board for your office equipment so you can turn off multiple devices at once
- Buying energy efficient appliances and electronics
Read about simple energy savings tips for the kitchen
, or find out more about celebrating Earth Hour: